Saturday, June 6, 2015

Landscaping projects.

Once the construction on the back of our house was complete, it was time to work on the front and other areas of our yard. 


This picture was taken after Justin tried to fix up our evergreen tree (hahaha) and after I trimmed our lilac tree which is next to it. The more I looked at our clematis the more it bothered me. It was top heavy and clearly had more dead twigs that healthy vines. 


So I ripped it out and dug out the trellis. I didn't dig out the clematis but cut it all the way down. If it comes back this year great if not there might be hope for next year. Either way I wasn't worried about it. It looked so much better!  However, behind the rhododendron was an iris plant that was hiding. I mean it was literally right behind it and it just looked like a dark pit. So I did some research and found that they are not a bulb making it easy to transfer now. 
So the following weekend I moved it!  


It dug right up and I moved it over by my peonies and near the clematis. You can actually notice the two plants now versus before they kind of blended into nothing!

This weekend I busted out the tools and cut down the trellis making it much shorter than it was. I wanted it more decorative in case the clematis didn't come back but if it did then it wouldn't get as high as it did with a taller trellis. I also spray painted it black to add a pop of color on that side of the house. I like black trimmings and it goes perfectly with the house colors! 


Since moving into our home almost five years ago, I feel like the flower bed is becoming more of my own creation than someone else's. 


I also spray painted our patio furniture. It was so faded from many years of not touching it. This picture does it no justice but the set looks brand new again!  We also added the umbrella from Sam's Club. They have Nautica ones for only 19.98! My mom and I added some ferns and some other green plant to our deck. It was just the sprucing up that the deck needed (besides a new stain!) We've always loved how you feel like you're in a tree house while sitting on the deck so adding extra green to it was perfect! 


 A little looksie from the back of the yard looking at the house. 


Looking down at the yard from the deck. We had our swing set moved to the back of the yard when we had the concrete work done. While the guys were waiting for the air conditioning unit to get properly removed, I joked with the guys that if they were bored they could move the swing set away from the deck, and they did!  I was shocked!  They were a really nice group of guys!  The set is much better back there because you can actually see them playing from the deck and it frees up the backyard. 

A lot more has been getting worked on that I didn't take pictures of like removing a ton of the ivy that has built up again in the back corner and transferring hosta from further back in the yard to the edge near the patio. I just divided some of them up and planted them!  

Well that is all for today!  We got a lot done and I'm sure I will continue to find something else to work on! I always do!  

Love,
Jamie Lynne

No comments: