Saturday, April 19, 2014

Camden's ultrasound

When Camden was born it was brought to our attention that he was born with a cyst on his neck.  
The pediatrician's at the hospital checked it everyday and didn't think it was anything serious. 
It was soft and free moving.

Every well check our pediatrician checked it out and noted that nothing has changed. Which was good!  It never drains, it never get's red and it hasn't changed in size. Since he turned one our pedi thought it would be best to go to an ears nose and throat dr. just to get a closer look.  She still believed that it was an extra fat pocket that was pushed out towards surface of neck in utero. 

The ENT examined him and also agreed that it was a skin cyst that never fully healed while I was pregnant. There is a dimple on it that helped him indicate that. He wanted us to get a sono on his left neck just to make sure it wasn't connected to anything or that it didn't trail down. 

We went yesterday (Friday) and Camden thought the hospital was super fun.



It was really strange seeing him wear a hospital bracelet since he wasn't just born. We have been fortunate to not have had any hospital visits with either one of our kids.  I give parents a lot of credit out there that have to see their little ones like this on a a regular basis.  It's heartbreaking.

It was time to go back and get the ultrasound and he fought it so badly.  I felt so bad and the girl had a hard time even getting a good scan on it because it was so superficial.  Meaning it was just a fat pocket and it didn't have anything else underneath it. 

There was sono gel everywhere, tears and sweat pouring out of him, and I was getting upset that we had to go through this to begin with. Given that it more than likely was superficial.  
Eventually the other nurse asked if she could play him music on her phone and I said yes. I also tried his binkie again because that wasn't staying in at all in the beginning.  
The binkie finally worked and so did hakuna matata from the lion king.  

We were able to finish the scan and my baby boy was calm. 
As I was holding him, listening to more music, he looked up at me with his beautiful blue eyes, and reassured me that he still loved me. And that it was okay.

I held him tight while we waited for the sono tech to check in with the dr and then we headed out.
She said she isn't the dr. but from one mother to another, it does look just like a skin cyst, and nothing serious.

When I got in the car I felt a little relief. I know it was necessary to get the scan. I know that we needed to do it to make sure he was healthy.  Through all the tears and screams we made it.  We were okay.  I was easily reminded of how hard it is to be a mom at times and that sometimes we get our kids upset to accomplish the right thing. But when everything settles, they still love us. 

Love
Jamie Lynne

No comments: