Sunday, August 31, 2014

Kindergarten Orientation

I cannot believe it's time for me to write this post. Kindergarten?!  Where did the time go?  I feel it was just yesterday we were sending her to daycare for the first time at 12 weeks old.  
Every school holds a school orientation but for kindergarten they do one on a special night.  It was a nice set up too. First we approached the doors to see class lists and we found Addy's name under her teachers name!  Then we headed to the gym and listened to the Principal speak to us about arrival and dismissal, etc. We were then sent to look around the school and go to our child's kindergarten room to meet the teacher. 

Our first stop was the library. 


Addy was super excited for the library!  She is looking forward to going to different specials and getting out of the classroom throughout the day. In daycare you really do not get those experiences. 


A couple of her friends from daycare are actually going to the same school as her and even though they didn't get the same classroom, Ally and Addy will start their day together in the before care program they have before school starts! They also will have lunch and recess together. Those are socially scary times in a kids day while at school, so I feel so much better knowing they will have each other during those times! 
Ally and Addy before heading down to their classrooms!

Camden wanted to be in the picture too!

Addy at her new seat!  

Her teacher is really nice and has been a teacher for 21 years. The classroom is set up really nice and its super organized!  

Addy acted very typical for her personality. Very quiet and just taking it all in. It always takes her awhile during a new setting to feel ok and it was especially crowded there with everyone's parents too. So she was even more overwhelmed. I know she will be fine once she is there and knows her new routine. 

I have my own worries though just like any new mom with their child going off to kindergarten. 
Will she meet nice friends?
Will they be nice to her?
What if her feelings get hurt?
I picture her walking into the lunch room alone.  Will she have someone to sit with?
Will she get hurt on the playground?
What if someone is mean to her there? Will she feel safe enough to tell another teacher? 

I can only hope that she has the tools she needs to feel confident in these situations and I know she did well at daycare but elementary school is a whole new ball game. 

Luckily she goes to school right next to me and I know I'm not far from her. She's in good hands and it's one of the smaller schools left in the district. I like that. Some of the elementary schools are as big as a middle school!  


I know I will have more thoughts on her first day but for now I have to leave it at this or I will get teary eyed! 

Love,
Jamie Lynne


No comments: