Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Back pain

I have had off and on back and neck pain for a few months now.  Nothing that wasn't fixable by my wonderful chiropractor though!  However, lately it's been a different story.  I went to the chiropractor a few weeks back and it never healed right.  Normally I will be sore for a day after but nothing serious.  My dr. does more physical therapy kind of work on your back and muscles.  So Justin really wanted me to see our DR. so I called and got in. He did a physical examination and determined two things. 

1. My upper chest (left) has been tender for awhile now.  Almost causing panic attacks and feelings of heart issues.  He felt around and really pushed hard on my upper chest.  It hurt.  Badly.  He diagnosed me with Teitze syndrome.  Its inflammation in the cartilage near the rib cage and breast bone.  Basically its a couple years of damage from me always using my left side to lift Addy and to snuggle with her.  When laying on the couch she sometimes gets playful or she wants to sit up.  So she takes her little elbow and digs in into my chest to help herself up.  It hurts!  So I'm supposed to take ibuprofen when needed and to minimize using that side of my body. 

2. I was having nerve pain in my left hand and after doing some strength stuff on me, the DR said I have something going on near C5 and C6 that is causing the pain in my arm.  He wasn't sure if it was a herniated disc causing the pinched nerve or inflammation of the muscle.  He told me some exercises I could do and sent me on my way.

Justin did all he could to massage it everyday and the fact that the DR mentioned a herniated disc didn't help me any.  I got more and more stressed about the whole thing.  Which in tail did not help  my symptoms or pain.  So yesturday morning I called and got in with my Chiropractor. 

I told him everything and he worked his magic.  I lay on a machine to loosen up the muscles in my back for about 5 minutes.  Heaven.  Then he takes me to the other room where the manipulation table is.  He feels around and starts to push to help pop/crack stuff. He also focused on the one muscle near my shoulder and neck. He dug and pinched. It hurt but he confirmed that it was def. a muscular thing and not a herniated disc.  I was so happy. He used a special tool that puts pressure on certain areas of my shoulder and neck.  It felt weird but it got deeper than he would be able to.  He then had me turn over and he stretched and pulled on my neck.  He was able to get a little crack in my neck on the left side.  Heaven!  That one was the money shot for sure!  Then he used biofreeze and massaged the area for about 5 minutes.  Heaven again.  Tens unit to help get rid of inflammation.  I was so happy for this one too!  I knew this would help even more over time! After that he did crack my wrist and fingers.  He told me that will help the nerves heal faster than they were.  He checked me over again and was very happy with how much loose my shoulder and neck were from the one visit.  He said before he started it felt like a tight rope was under my skin :( 

Needless to say I am doing much better this morning!  I'm so happy I went.  I may make one more appointment for next monday or tues. just to keep things ok.  That might be all it takes.  I have been doing really well using ice and biofreeze.  He did say I could use heat for about 10 minutes and rest it for awhile then use ice.  Ice is better for inflammation but he knows with how tight that muscle was that I could benefit from the heat too! 

So that is it on me for now! Time to get ready for work!
Love
Jamie Lynne

No comments: