Saturday, August 13, 2011

Positive Parenting

A quote from Positive Parenting.  I "like" them on facebook.

"Kids aren't as astute at knowing how to meet their needs as we grownups are. Sometimes even we don't behave in the most appropriate ways to get what we need. A child is much less capable of identifying and articulating what they need, and instead they reach out through their behavior. What looks like "misbehavior" is actually a child's misguided attempt to fulfill a need that's not being met. "

This is a very important thing to remember because it can get very frusturating as any young toddler is growing and attempting to understand their own world.  Sometimes Addyson does things and I want to get mad or I want to yell at her but I have to stop and remember this quote.  I have to use that moment where she may be frusturated about not getting her shoe on and she throws it.  She clearly wants to be able to put that shoe on herself.  Its a teachable moment for me to help her learn how to put the shoe on.  Not to give her a time out for throwing it. 

The toddler stage can be a very trying time and its helpful to have things like this to read to help bring us back down! 

Love
Jamie Lynne

No comments: