Yep that's right, I failed my 3 hour glucose test and I officially have gestational diabetes. I'm pretty bummed out about it the whole concept but I met with the dietician today and the diet I already have is pretty spot on. I actually am under in carbs for our dinner hour. The only meal I really need to tweek is possibly my breakfast and I need to make sure my snacks during the day aren't heavy in carbs.
My numbers weren't terrible but no matter what or how many you go over, if your over, you have it.
Fasting 78
1 hour 159 (should be under 180)
2 hours 156 (should be under 155)
3 hours 155 (should be under 140)
It's also very very likely that this will go away once I deliver. They will test me in the hospital and test baby boy's levels too after he is born. Sometimes they will have a lower blood sugar and need monitored. If I don't have numbers under control then I will have to go week by week with checking my numbers. Once they really drop and stay that way I will be discharged from the monitor. I will then have a blood test 6 weeks post op and at one year to be safe. We have no family history so I am praying nothing comes of this.
They are going to have me test one hour after every meal. That means I have a lovely little accessory living in my purse now. It requires me to prick my finger 4 times a day too. When the dietician had me practice my stupid blood likes to smear rather than spot which makes it really hard for the darn machine to read my blood sugar. We finally got it to work and my number before dinner was 76.
After one hour they want my number to be under 140. She gave me a nice booklet of restuarants and such to help determine what is okay for me to eat. There is also a nice chart of carbohydrates that I can follow for each meal to help me.
Breakfast 35-45 carbs
snack 25-35 carbs
Lunch 45-65 carbs
snack 25-35 carbs
Dinner 45-65 carbs
Snack around 830 pm 25-35 carbs
Honestly its pretty easy to follow and with the diet we already have I am doing fine! I was happy to see that! The only thing I need to be careful of is when there is a bday party or sweets involved. But let's say I want cake and ice cream, I can have a piece that is about 2x2 inches without frosting (which is fine by me) and a scoop of ice cream. Coffee if I want and that doesn't count. But as a snack I'll be right around 2-3 servings of carbs which 35 carbs.
Our dinners are usually a meat, starch and veggie. I'll add dairy and that's another carb.
She gave me great snack ideas and since I do love cereal she told me that cheerio multigrain is good and then I can have 4 oz of oj and another carb. Another good breakfast is a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and 4 oz of oj.
Where I get hung up on all of this is that I have to test myself. I hate it. I hate the idea and thought of it. I hate that it's going to consume my day, I hate that I will have to leave the classroom I work in to check it, or while we are on a field trip. I just don't like it. I know I have to do it to make sure my baby boy is getting all the nutrients he can and that my placenta won't resist insulin. But right now I'm bitter. Right now it's still very fresh and new in my world. I have 7 weeks to go and I will work my hardest to make sure I don't need my csection before then but right now I'm allowed to be upset.
So tonight we had dinner from panera. Which we figured out is okay if I do the you pick two combo and with what I eat puts me at 63 carbs for dinner. I drank a diet cranberry sierra mist so that doesn't count. After we ate I did a little picking up around here to move around and get a little bit of "exercise" in. I went to test at 710pm and my damn blood just smeared and I went through 3 test strips, lots of pokes that didnt work, and some tears. I was beyond frusturated and Justin offered some advice. He suggested to prick my finger in a little bit of a different spot than they told me. I tried once and it didn't work. I wanted to give up. What was going to happen if I could read my sugar levels? So finally the last time it worked and we got a reading of 118 about 20 minutes late.
So I am pretty sure I would have been under 140 at the hour mark and it does make me happy knowing that my body (pancreas) is working properly.
My fingers are a little sore but I hope with more practice things will go more smoothly.
Thanks for listening to me ramble. It feels good to get it all out!
Well I better get going and have my night snack before bed!
Love
Jamie Lynne
1 comment:
I'm so sorry you have GD this time. Sounds like you are handling it well.
Post a Comment