Saturday, February 15, 2014

A flood puts things into perspective

Thursday night. I go up to bed and hear what sounds like rain outside.  I thought it was strange because I didn't think it was supposed to rain.  About 3 minutes later I hear Justin put the recliner back to sitting position and I knew he was going to check the basement back door to make sure it was locked.  "Jaaaaaaamieeeeeeee!"  My husband yells my name 3 times. In a way that I've never heard before.  My heart was pounding.  When I got to the basement door I could not believe my eyes.  About 6-10 inches of water covering our entire basement.  We go down the stairs as far as we can and all we see is a small water fall of water coming in our door frame up by the door knob.  We ran upstairs yelling "what do we do?"

The next 3 hours felt like the twilight zone.  I called my dad and Justin called 911.  I went outside to quickly notice that there had to of been a water main break out front of our neighbors house.  My dad gave me the water company number and he was on his way.  By that time the fire dept. got here and helped get what we could out of the basement and they worked on switching breakers to some of the electrical outlets. They confirmed the 6-10 inches and they said there wasn't much more they could do without the water company.  By this time the water fall had stopped and we checked out back.  We couldn't believe how high the water got in the stair well leading to our basement door.  There was still a lot of water but it appeared that our drain was working as best as it could.

We were able to talk to our neighbors about it all and the house behind theirs was getting hit pretty bad too.  The water company finally showed up and got the water turned off.  All the while my babies were sleeping peacefully in their beds.  Thank God.  We went inside because at this point there was nothing we could do with the water company. At that time my dad left.  Around 130 am the one water works employee rang doorbell and asked to take a look. He took pictures and told us to that there will be a lot of drilling and rumbling with them working on the break.

The night was ok but there were times when we woke up each time they needed to drill into the cement.
There were so many emotions that night. I cried hard, my anxiety was high, and I had no idea the level of disappointment that was going to follow the next day.

Part two coming.
Love
Jamie Lynne

No comments: