It wasn't a dream. There was no undoing it. We were left with a muddy clay mess with items completely tossed around our basement. We got up before the kids, made coffee, wrote down items that we knew for sure were damaged and got the kids up and ready for daycare.
Addy woke up before I got up to her and I found her looking out her bedroom window. She was so upset seeing all the work that was being done outside. She clearly knew something terrible happened but didn't know just what. I talked to her about it and her emotions came out. She was concerned, she was upset, she was worried and she wanted to see the basement. We took her down the stairs and her little heart broke. She cried. She was scared for all of us. Her home was invaded by "mud" and she felt very uncertain about it all.
We got them out the door and dropped them off. There was a valentine's day party to be had and they were not going to miss something fun and positive in their day. We headed to breakfast to come up with a game plan as I waited to hear from the claims adjuster.
She called back. "It's not covered but I'll put it through to my supervisor to see if we can get it approved with how I wrote it up." My heart sank. Justin came to terms the night before that it wasn't going to be covered. You have to have extra flood insurance for it to cover surface water that enters your home from an outside source. Even with that it would only cover ground floor and up, not underground- basement. If the pipe broke in our home it would be covered. She called back and said she was really sorry but there was nothing they could do. I cried at breakfast.
After talking to my dad, he told me to call a specific person at the water company. His best friend works for the water company and said that if our insurance won't cover it that the water co will pay for clean up and restoration. It was worth a shot. I needed our home to be safe for our kids. Getting it cleaned was our number one priority at this point and it was going to take a lot.
We headed home and I made phone calls. A really nice gentlemen called back and we talked, explaining what insurance co said and such. I asked if there was a way we could get help or for them to take care of the clean up. He said yes they will and that they have a "Good neighbor policy" and that they will call Bonded Services to see if they can get out right away to start the process. I was beyond relieved. About 10 minutes later we heard from them and they said they would be here in 15 minutes! I cried again! Also our friend Ryan was on his way to help us too.
Those workers did a wonderful job! They worked so hard from 1045-3 am. They ripped the rugs up and sucked up a ton of water. They also had used a special cleaning solution to help stop mold and bacteria from starting. They have 3 big floor fans going and a huge dehumidifier running till Monday. Our basement looks strange but it's clean and dry. We had to get rid of a ton of stuff which they remove for us. We looked at it like a good spring cleaning. Seeing some stuff ruined really upset me and you don't realize how you will feel seeing your stuff like that till it happens. Thankfully a lot of stuff was in bins and our built in shelves protected things high up.
We still have a lot of work ahead of us but one thing is for sure.....it could have been worse. It really could have. We didn't loose power and so far our hot water tank and furnace are ok. Our washer and dryer are ok and our basement is clean and in tact. our kids are okay and no one got hurt. I thought about those that have lived through hurricanes and how their homes got flooded. In their living spaces. They can't even live in their homes while it get's worked on. So we are thankful and happy that the city is taking care of our cleanup and making our home a safe environment.
Laying a new rug down there isn't a horrible cost and laying tile in the bathroom. We know many good friends that love to do that kind of work and being there for us. We can build on from this and pretty soon it will be in the past.
Love
Jamie Lynne

No comments:
Post a Comment