Thursday, July 10, 2008

Okay so it looks like I forgot to post that our bird family that built a nest in my birdhouse moved out about 9 days ago. It was such a sight to see too! I got to see the babies take their first flight and leave their little home. Sharon and I got to see it but justin missed out :( Anyways, Sharon cleaned out the birdhouse in hopes that either the same family would nest again or another set of birds. So this morning I was out on the back patio putting bird seed in the bird feeder and watering my veggies when I noticed two birds on our fence. At first I thought they were the babies coming to visit because the one went right to the house and had trouble flying to it. But when I looked up and saw the other bird, he or she had a twig in its beek, and I just knew that they were planning on nesting in our birdhouse! I think they are house wrens, just like the other ones were, but I cannot tell if they are the same ones or not. They sing differently than the other wrens did. More of a song. (wrens do both) Also they are smaller to me. I wonder if its the babies? I am not sure how long after they are born that they can mate. I should look that up! Okay better finish getting ready for work!
Here is what I found:

Mating Habits In spring, the male wren arrives and begins to establish his territory. You'll know he has arrived when you begin hearing him sing from his perches.
As you watch, you'll notice he begins placing sticks into prospective nest holes. He may build as many as twelve different nesting sites. After pairing with a mate, the male takes the female to each of the nesting sites he has begun building.
The female selects the one she likes and begins to rebuild by adding soft materials to the nest before laying eggs.
House wrens are cavity nesters and as such, are an ideal candidate for attracting to birdhouses. In fact, these birds seem to prefer man-made nest boxes to natural cavities.

Rarely bothered by general human presence, if the bird watcher gets to close to the nest, she stands a good chance at being scolded. (this happened to us many times after the babies were born! Justin would get right in their face and they would yell at him! Justin would tell them to be quiet! It was pretty funny!)

No comments: