Addyson's birth story
We had a scheduled c-section for March 23, 2009. We got to the hospital around 6:30 a.m. to check in and then we were sent up to the 5th floor. There we got sent to our room and they had me change. The nurse came in and I actually knew her! She used to babysit us when my mom was with my stepdad. They were best friends. Anyways, she gave us a rundown of what was going to happen and then asked me some general questions. Soon after someone came in to take some blood and then I got my IV put in. Next we did a lot of waiting. We talked about her name one more time just to make sure we agreed on it still amongst other things. I just couldn't believe we were going to meet her and that this day was actually here. Then my mom showed up and so did nana huntley. We all talked and then it was time for them to prep me for surgery!!! They hooked me up to some fluids and started my antibiotics. You have to have them if you have a c-section. Then came one of the worst moments of my life! She had to put in my catheder. She cleaned me really well (diggity is out the window) and then put it in. I hated it! It felt like I had been holding my urine for 2 years plus I had the pressure of Addyson on top of it. I never really calmed down once it was in. I had high anxiety and was shakey. The nurse then finished prepping me and let everyone back in while theyasked me questions. Justin kept trying to calm me down but I was so uncomfortable that I just couldn't.
Next I had to get in a wheel chair to go down to the recovery room where I would consult with the drug dr. Once he started talking to me about the proceedure, I started to calm down. I knew he was going to give me the relief I needed from this horrible catheder!!! I then had to drink this horrible liquid that would neutralize my stomach acid and I gave my husband a kiss and they took me to the O.R. After I got my spinal they would get Justin.
They got me on the table and the drug dr started prepping all of his tools. The nurse stood in front of me and held my hands. He then got my back ready and I got a local injected. Felt like a bee sting and after that I really didn't feel much, just a really awkward pressure in my spine. He told me my legs would get warm and heavy and boy was he right ! They then had me lay down pretty quickly. 'Quickly' is exactly what everything from that point on felt like! Next things I know my arms are strapped down, curtain goes up, and they were getting my husband. During that time the drug dr. told me that I had passed the pain tolerance test (pinched my stomach really hard with tweezer) and that they actually had already cut into me! He then said the most amazing thing ever: your daughter will be here in 4 minutes! Justin finally got in the room and he sat up by my head. I felt some moving, pulling and a little bit of pressure but nothing like I thought it would be. We were told that her head was out with lots of hair and I asked what color...he said dark! Next thing he told justin that he could peak over the curtain to see his daughter. Justin did and he saw them cutting the cord! A nurse brought her around the corner and we got to see our beautiful baby girl!!! We both cried and were so relieved that she was finally here!
After they got a diaper on her and got the first round of the apgar's done justin was called over. He took some pictures and then when she was all cleaned up and swaddled in a blanket, was given to her daddy. Justin brought her over to me where I could give her a kiss and get our first photo as a family! Justin then left with the nurse to go to the nursery where she was weighed and measured. They finished stitching me back up and got me onto a regular bed. I was then taken to a recovery room. Justin met me there and we let the nurse know ahead of time that I wanted her in recovery with me so that I could start nursing right away. However, within the first 15 minutes of being parents we had to make a decision! Because I fed her so well when I was pregnant, her sugar dropped a little when in the nursery, and they wanted to feed her there or they could have her eat through a tube that would lay on my breast. We agreed that her sugar needed to come up right away and that they could do it at the nursery. We waited another 7 minutes and then my nurse karen brought her to us! She said that since she knew I wanted to nurse, she fed her with a cup! I was so happy! We got all situated and I nursed my daughter! Justin sat right there and she lached on without a problem!
My blood pressure was a little low and they had to put something in my IV to help with that and I also had to have a warming blanket to help bring up my body temp. They do other things in recovery to but I would rather not discuss it! I was in recovery for about an hour and a half then taken to my room. My mom and nana met us there and they couldn't believe how much she looked like me. We talked about the surgery and Then I started to get visitors.
Everyone was over the moon for us and we also got many nice phone calls from friends and family.
No comments:
Post a Comment